Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Historic fashion patterns for dolls!

An eBay auction caught my eye recently (shocking, I know!) that inspired me to do a little research. Somebody was auctioning historic patterns for Barbie-sized fashions--with a separate set for each era (Regency, colonial, etc.). The auction listing showed a sample page which was obviously out of an older book. (The listing did have a disclaimer that they had the permission of the author to be reselling the patterns, thank goodness.) Well, of course I wouldn't be content with just a few photocopies--I wanted all of the patterns! So I set about to find the entire book.

Turns out this little gem of a book is called The Doll Book and it's by Estelle Ansley Worrell (ISBN 0442295553). The patterns are actually designed to fit soft-bodied dolls (patterns for the dolls included too!) but they are similar in size to a standard 11 1/2" fashion doll, and scaling instructions are included for other doll heights. The book is still readily available through used booksellers--I found mine for less than $6 and that included postage. So doll costumers, get yourself a copy--it will keep you happily busy for years with everything from Cavalier-era gowns to Victorian bustle dresses! (There are even instructions for creating period-correct hairstyles on your dolls.) I've been collecting the Simplicity historic Barbie-sized series patterns but this book has it all!

So I'm going to try to scale a few for both Barbie-size dolls and my new Tyler Wentworth 16" fashion doll. (Okay, make that two eBay auctions that caught my eye this week. . .) Keep posted for pictures of my progress!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you thank you thank you for telling us the books name.
I also saw the patterns and fell in love with 7/8's of them!
Now to find the book-- hoo hum.
Post pictures when you make some of the items!

Jenn

Dintarmawen Design said...

Thanks for the note! I'm glad somebody found the information useful.

I've cut out two dresses so far--Regency style, in the same fabric--and one sized for a Barbie and the other for my new Tonner doll. Once I get them sewn up I'll publish pictures along with scaling instructions.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!
I just ordered this book off of eBay. it was a bit pricey but... oh well;)

I dont know what costume era i am going to work on first. i cant wait for your pictures!!
Are you going to make Ken and Kelly dolls?