Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cubby boxes, done!



What a project this has been! Here is the final product. The ribbon is from Stampin' Up, the little frames on the front are just metal scrapbooking frames from Making Memories (I painted them white, then distressed them with my Dremel tool. How I love that tool!) The cute purse, dress form, and Eiffel Tower are from Tai Pan Trading--I just need to whack off the top half inch of the tower so it will fit on top of the cubbies. The table for my machine will eventually be replaced with something that matches the Expedit. Four boxes are full of my pattern stash, one for my dolls and doll patterns, one for custom patterns I've done, and then four for embroidery supplies and blanks.



When covering the boxes, I just made a "tube" of fabric that was wide enough to slip around the box. I then folded the bottom fabric like a present and glued it down, and tacked the top excess fabric down inside the box. I also glued a rectangle of flannel on the bottom of each one. This covers up where the fabric is folded down, and also provides a soft surface so the boxes don't scratch the Expedit as I slide them in and out. A bit of spray adhesive helps to get the fabric for the lid centered and flannel attached, then I just used a glue gun for the edges. I bought some matching scrapbooking paper for the little frames, so I can have each box labeled.

No comments: