Sunday, November 23, 2008

ePatterns Now Available from Sense & Sensibility, and a New Toy for My Sewing Room!

Here's some exciting news for those of you who love historical costuming! You've read about how much of a fan I am of Sense & Sensibility patterns. Well, she is now offering epatterns! This is a great way of ordering her pattern collection in PDF format--you can get them instantly, there are no pattern pieces to store, and you can print them out to any scale (great for those of us who do doll costuming!) So far they include her Regency, Romantic, Edwardian, early 1900s, and Swing era patterns. Click here to visit Sense and Sensibility Patterns.

The reason I'm so excited about these? Well, besides the fact that I just love the look of historic dresses, I just inherited a great new toy for my sewing room--an HP DraftPro DXL pen plotter! So now I can plot out my patterns to any size that I want! I have so many historical costume pattern books that include scaled patterns--everything from Janet Arnold's books to Patterns for Theatrical Costume. I've tried blowing them up with the grid method, using copiers, even using an overhead opaque projector--and all of them are a serious pain! So I'm in the experimenting phase right now--I'll post my tips and tricks for getting those patterns into a program like AutoCAD and then plotting them out.

One tip for those of you lucky enough to track down one of these old plotters--the serial cable is NOT a standard cable. Many people find one of these plotters and assume they don't work because they can't set up a connection to it. The cable is what's called a reverse modem cable--you can use a standard serial cable, but you have to use what's called a null modem adapter with it. More details can be found here. See if you can find one of these gems on eBay--but only if you can find a local one. They're heavy and huge, but a great piece of equipment!

No comments: