Thursday, July 02, 2009

Scrunched?

I was recently contacted by someone who was interested in a custom veil order. She noted that in the custom listing I have on my Etsy store, I mention that I usually "scrunch" dye my silks. She asked what that meant, and it got me to thinking--what does it mean? I thought maybe a demonstration of what I meant would be best! Here are two identical color combinations from the batch of veils I just finished.


The one on the right was done by scrunching the fabric very tightly before applying the dye, which keeps the colors from mixing. As a result, you get a lot of "white space" between the two colors, and for the most part they stay separated. This is a good technique to use if you are using two very dissimilar colors which may not blend well if they combine.


The one on the left, believe it or not, was made using the same exact colors--only this time, the fabric was very loosely scrunched and I worked the two colors of dye through the fabric--scrunching it as I applied the dye. Quite the difference! You still get some blotches of the individual colors, but I work hard to make sure there is no "white space" and that the colors blend more softly.

Although they are scrunched in different ways, I like both styles--which do you prefer?

No comments: